"They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening"
- George Orwell - 1984

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Baby Thrown From Car During Car Robbery


Mother Says She Followed Baby's Cry After Car Robbery




A young mother said she followed the cries of her baby Wednesday night after her car was robbed and the boy was thrown out of the vehicle.

The robbery happened around 6 p.m. Wednesday. Police found the vehicle and the suspects shortly after 10 p.m.

Amber Blakeman, 21, and her 10-month-old son, Cayden, were injured in the incident. Witnesses said the infant was thrown from the car.

Blakeman said three women stood in front of her car on 25th Street near Corby Street. They asked her for a ride and when she refused, they allegedly pulled her from the car and took off.

Blakeman found her child down the street in the yard of an abandoned home. At first, she said, she couldn't find her son.

"The only way I found him was, I followed his crying, because he was screaming," Blakeman said.

Blakeman said on Thursday that she's shaken by the assault and robbery. Blakeman was home in Lake Manawa, Iowa, on Thursday with her son and husband, Keith. She said three teens told her to get out of her car, assaulted her, pulled her out by her hair and hit her in the head with an object. She said her glasses broke in the process.

"It was hard and it hurt. They messed up my face really bad, just behind my ear and my jaw. I have bald spots on my head because they were trying to pull me out by my hair," Blakeman said. "They started pulling on my hair, hitting on my face and they started covering my nose and mouth with their hands because I was screaming for help, I was trying to get someone to help."

Blakeman ran into a nearby community center to call for help. She and her son were taken to Creighton University Medical Center where they were treated for minor injuries and released.

The family is in the process of moving to a home in north Omaha, and Blakeman said they had just purchased a number of things that were in the car when it was stolen. They were only able to recover the baby playpen and some pots and pans that were locked in the trunk.

Omaha police arrested three young women. Two of the suspects are 14-year-old girls, and authorities said they are charged with robbery and child abuse. The other teen is a 15-year-old girl charged with robbery. All were taken to the Douglas County Youth facility.
Story Here

No comments: